Under review

Can't use data pad.

firespark1981 7 years ago updated by Tyler Owen (Lead Developer) 7 years ago 5

Can't use data pad. No matter what I do it just does not respond to the controls and yes I have messed with the settings and tried wasd and arrow keys. All it wants to do is go to the exit button. Why not allow us to use the cursor like all other games.

Under review

Can you give me some more information about the issue you are experiencing? Did the datapad ever work properly or has it never responded to any inputs? Is there an option selected in orange on the datapad screen or is there nothing selected?

My #1 wish for this game is to ditch the simulation of the antique keypad technology.   Yes it's simple and robust and still in use today 60 years after it's creation, particularly for machine controls.  But it's terribad for working with data. Today astronauts take IPads to the ISS to avoid using the crappy old terminals as much as possible.   By the time we go to Mars 20 years from now, surely we'll have something a bit more modern -- and productive.  

As a gamer, I found the keypad simulator interesting for about 5 minutes.  Now it's a reason to play a different game.  Sorry to be harsh but I honestly believe if one thing will hold back the success of the game, this is it.

I appreciate the feedback. It's definitely something I am working on improving. The problem is that there is a level of abstraction between the mouse and the datapad screen, so it's difficult to map mouse cursor representation to your mouse movements. It's not impossible though, so I will see what I can do.

And how will you solve the part where the mouse would have to control both the cursor for using the datapad and the turn/look function of the player character?

I'm not sure why perople have such a hard time accepting this control scheme. It took me only a few minutes to get used to it, with the small limitation that while I move (left hand on WSAD keys) and manipulate the datapad (right hand on arrow keys + enter) I have no hand left for turning with the mouse. But I don't see a way to solve that part without adding a third hand to the players, so...

+1

My idea would be to only allow mouse control of the datapad when the player is not walking. So if you are standing still then the mouse would no longer control your look direction and would instead display an on screen cursor that you would control. I haven't even started to test this yet though so it will take me some time to get it working. I would love to include it in the Controller Support and Button Remapping Update that I have planned.